Note: This article is part 2 of a 4-part troubleshooting series, with more in-depth information about a TEN talk at WLPC.
Part 1 - The RADIUS connection
Part 3 - Breaking other Wi-Fi
Part 4 - The suddenly weaker Wi-Fi
Video recording from WLPC Prague
Incoming Ticket: Terrible connection using Zoom on Wi-Fi. Works for a while, then unusable for a minute. Building is almost empty.
This is of course pretty broad, so to get an overview on what I checked:
- The building was new, and got 802.11ac Wave2 Wi-Fi, planned and validated - so it should not be a coverage issue
- Also happens when the building is almost empty, so capacity should not be an issue
- Multiple client typed affected, so probably not a client driver issue
- Log check revealed that there is no unexpected roaming and no channel changes
- It was validated that it worked fine on the wired network, so only wireless was affected
- On the whole campus, only this building had this issue
- It was hard to reproduce, sometimes it took hours, sometimes it was multiple times in an hour